Friday, May 12, 2017

A Capsule Wardrobe in Shades of Red

Everybody loves a capsule wardrobe.   I don't wear a lot of red, but the reds I choose are muted reds and those in the mulberry range.   I just finished this dress that is a pattern hack using two Cutting Line Design patterns, each that I've made several times.   This time I wanted the cut-on sleeve with cuff look of the Simplify Your Life top pattern and the button front of the Ebb blouse pattern.    So I made my own changes to that pattern and here is the resulting dress in a muted red with white seersucker.  I posted photos of changes and details on Flickr albums.



My garments are hung in coordinating groups so I can select and wear coordinates for a day, or pull out a capsule for a trip.   This capsule includes that dress, two sleeveless tops from the Danger Curves Ahead pattern, a muted red and white Liberty jacket in a vertically textured cotton, a white Gunex asymmetrically pleated skirt and white linen pants.   Adding more colors, there's a striped cotton Shapes Six Sense skirt in reds/orange and a stripe of purple that goes well with the two DCA tops.   I included a silk scarf in a denim blue background with colorful shoe motifs that I can wear with the Liberty jacket on its own.    I love the way this all works together!







10 comments:

  1. Terri - I love this capsule wardrobe. You are so good at this and the result is always chic. I think you could put this in a suitcase and meet me in Paris! Glad to see you blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Martha. I hope the May weather is perfect during your stay. I was there on business for a couple weeks in June and it was glorious with all the roses blooming in the parks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too!! The muted shades of red are just beautiful. you are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Prencella. I appreciate your kind comments. I had to delete my first reply because I can't seem to spell correctly in the morning!

      Delete
  4. Love 'seeing red' . Beautiful collection of garments, to motivate me.
    Haven't sewn for a while, partly because I have too many clothes and been spending time working on my drawing and painting skills.
    Good to see you blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Cheryl. I think about you and Jacqui from New Zealand when I sew and wonder how you are doing. Thank you for the kind comment. I have "too many clothes" as well but love filling in between them. Seems like I get more wear out of the older ones that way. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. Great to see your blog up and running again! I've missed it. I just love red and the way you have used it is so creative and beautiful. The combinations are just wonderful! I haven't had much time in the sewing room lately, and I do miss that. You have given me some great ideas to try. As I think I mentioned on SG, the seersucker dress is so nice for summer--a perfect make IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda in TX! I was inspired to make another Relax a Little skirt using the red/white seersucker after seeing this yoked seersucker "ball skirt" on the J. Crew site. https://www.jcrew.com/p/womens_category/readytopartycollection/seersucker-ball-skirt/g3474?isFromSearch=true&color_name=bistro-blue&N=17&Nloc=en&Ntrm=seersucker&Npge=1&Nrpp=60&Nsrt=0&hasSplitResults=false

      Delete
  6. Me too! I'm so happy to see your blog back! I used to look forward to eyeing up your skilled colour combinations & wardrobe selections. Very inspirational Terri!

    ReplyDelete