Sunday, April 26, 2015

Beetle-mania dress and top


I'm a big fan of RTW Charleston and the shops on Charleston's King Street.    In the fall of 2013 RTW this dress and others from the Lanvin collection with the beetles on dresses, scarves, tops, jewelry and other accessories.   I put this on my inspiration board because it was unique and sophisticated.  

So when I saw this screen printed beetle border print,  I knew that I was going to have fun with it.    Two new patterns this spring became the canvas for using that fabric, and I am happy with the results.    Presenting my beetle dress and my beetle top.

The dress is Vogue 9112 with lots of pieces, curves and inserts.   The dresses on the models are unflattering IMO.  The last Vogue pattern I sewed was a fail and I gave it away.   So I based the decision to try this one on the line diagrams that I knew would show off this fabric.   I placed the border print at the bottom and the pleated, overlapping collar, omitting it in the lower front piece on purpose.    It's a unique lagenlook worn with capri leggings, a slim pant,  and even over a light weight top.   The top and waist are nicely fitting.  There is LOTS of volume at the bottom but it doesn't add 40 or 50 lbs like some other dresses/tunics I've seen.    I like the collar.



Next is this fun top using the new Light and Shadow top pattern by Louise Cutting.    View B has a separate vented flange under the hem that I thought would be interesting to play with the border.   I also cut the sleeves on the narrower border.    This pattern has instructions for all the fine sewing techniques used here, and you can make this top in an afternoon.   This looks great with white or black pants!


8 comments:

  1. Love love love! In Prague and having the time of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear about your trip. Thank you for the complement on these fun pieces!

      Delete
  2. Really chic - beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun fabric! Your two pieces used the border print to perfect effect.

    Glad to see you post again, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! I agree with Louise the borders make the look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to see this blog post! For a while when I clicked on a link to you, it showed a message as a private blog. Love this pieces. Fabric is to die for!

    ReplyDelete