Wednesday, February 3, 2016

A Tunic and a Wide-leg Pant



Here is the Cutting Line Designs tunic from the Danger Curves Ahead pattern that I finished in January.   It's a very drapy rayon challis print with black handkerchief linen contrast and facings.    The challis presented more of a challenge than if I had chosen a more stable fabric.   Reminder -  measure the cuff pattern pieces for the size you intend to make.  I cut the size small for this pattern,  and, even with buttonholes and buttons on a scant 3/8" from the edge, they have little ease.  I took photos of all the details which are on my Flickr photos and the album for this pattern.  Here is the tunic worn with a pair of 4-ply silk One Seam pants.



I cropped a pair of Loes Hinse Hepburn wide-leg pants that I didn't wear much last year, and I liked them better.  So after I finished the Cutting Line Designs tunic from the Danger Curves Ahead pattern,  I sewed up a pair of the West End pants from the pattern by The Sewing Workshop.   I had the pattern but hadn't sewn either the jacket or the wide-leg pants that are included.   So, here they are in the same double spring/summer weight double sided/textured fabric I used for some coordinates in this Tan/Black Coordinates Group Flickr Album.    You need a fabric like this with lots of drape, and plenty of ease to pull off this look, plus it's important to wear some shoes or boots with a bit of a heel.  Here's a "selfie" taken in the mirror in my sewing room and the other is outside on the deck in the wind!   Those are Arche nubuck ankle boots from the Mustard Seed boutique in Bethesda MD that is owned by my step-son, Derek.  Go see them if you're in the neighborhood.  You'll come away with some fantastic finds!


Texture and colors of fabric used for West End Pant





8 comments:

  1. Hi Terri love the tunic from Danger Curves Ahead pattern. I am about to embark on a pants fitting adventure so might give those wide leg pants a try. I have a version by Sandra Betzina that look very similar to yours. All the best Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check and determine your length carefully Jacqui. I'm going to re-post a drawing I made of Louise Cutting's advice on proportions because that's what makes or breaks these wide pants. I'm 5'5" to give you some perspective.

      Delete
  2. Great looking outfits! Thanks for all your inspiration.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia! Always nice to get complements from you.

      Delete
  3. Love the tunic. Gorgeous colors and fabric combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin. I appreciate your complements and interest in my work.

      Delete
  4. Yesterday, I had a nice journey travelling through all your posts and flikr albums. Brava.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Babsox! I'm glad you enjoyed them. I wore the LH Hepburns I cropped with the coordinating Sewing Workshop Opal jacket when I was out and about today.

      Delete