Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sewing Workshop Tosca Dress Sample

With a Relax-A-Little shirt

I cut out this sample/wearable muslin dress yesterday in this IKEA cotton.   I sewed it up this afternoon in about 3 hours.  This size small dress is a full 10" shorter than the pattern and you can see that the armholes are still very deep even with me taking them up 2".    I wear it over lightweight knit tops.

Everything went together easily.   Stay stitching the shoulders and clipping is a must as is the under-stitching and top stitching.   I pressed the neckline and armholes over a ham.    The offset hem was easy to do and I used a template for the 1/2" and basted it in before edge stitching.    This is unique style that I recommend altering carefully for your own body and taste.    I didn't think all those funky, asymmetrical pockets added anything so I didn't use them.   Keep it simple, let the fabric do the talking, and have fun with it.  More photos and how I altered the pattern on my Tosca Flickr Album.



4 comments:

  1. Terri, your test garment is cute! Hard to tell from the photos--where does the hem hit, above the knee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy it's just above the knee. I told my stylist to just shoot the dress and that's just what he did ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Terri! I'm 5'4", so knowing will help me with my pattern adjustments.

    ReplyDelete